Jump to Recipe·Print Recipe
Making homemade microwave popcorn couldn’t be easier — and it’s ONLY popcorn, butter and salt, without any of the extras you get with microwave popcorn from the store. Fresh, crunchy and full of fiber, come on!
We eat homemade microwave popcorn after school, for family movie night and it’s also perfect to fill out school lunches!
What you need to make Homemade Microwave Popcorn
- popcorn kernels (I buy them in bulk.)
- fine salt
- paper bags
Here’s the recipe…
Homemade Microwave Popcorn
Each bag makes one generous serving. Add toppings of your choice!
- 1/4 cup popcorn kernels
- 1 tablespoon butter
- sprinkle of salt
- toppings of choice (more butter, Parmesan cheese, etc.)
- Put popcorn kernels in a paper bag.
- Add butter and salt.
- Fold the top.
- Place in microwave and push “popcorn” button.
- Listen! When the kernels slow down to a NEAR stop, it’s time to stop the microwave.
- Shake the bag.
- Enjoy as is, or add additional toppings.
Extra Toppings for Homemade Microwave Popcorn
I LOVE this popcorn straight out of the bag but my kids like to make it more decadent. Here are their favorites:
- melted butter
- Parmesan cheese
- handful of chocolate chips
- crumbled dried seaweed snacks
- SO MANY special seasonings, you can even get a variety pack with flavors like caramel corn, ranch, nacho cheddar and more.
Looking for a movie to watch together as a family?
Our list includes tons of overlooked, underrated and absolutely wonderful stories for people of all ages.